It is not a secret for nobody that there’s a lot to do in Tenerife.
Depending on the zone you’re in (although this is the biggest Canary Island, it isn’t too long) you can do certain tours and excursions to know more about the island’s history and admire the beauty it has.
In order to organize an itinerary for you in your visit to this island, we give you some of the bests excursions you can do in Tenerife, most of them possible to go with kids or any member of family.
Contents of this post | Find what you want!
Best excursions in Tenerife
We can classify activities to do depending on the zone you’re, as told above. Although there are much more municipalities in the island, they aren’t as touristic as the explained below.
Excursions in Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Santa Cruz de Tenerife is a port city, that is also one of the biggest in the island. Some of the most exclusive buildings and hotels can be found there, so it’s a great place to go if you like quality services.
Some of the best excursions to do there are:
- Spain’s Plaza (Plaza España): This is the biggest plaza in the city and the whole Canary Archipelago. It is an emblematic space built back in 1929 to protect the island from pirate attacks. It houses a lot of history inside, as well as beautiful and unforgettable views. A very recommended place to go.
- Nature and Men’s Museum (Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre): Exhibition project that has within the Archaeological Museum of Tenerife, the Canary Institute of Bioanthropology and the Museum of Natural Sciences of Tenerife. It has the biggest existent collection about Guanche culture and counts with one of the most demanding systems for conservation and exhibition of mummified human remains.
- Anaga Rural Park: Protected natural space located at Anaga’s Massif declared in 2015 as biosphere’s reserve and it counts with the biggest quantity of endemisms in Europe.
Excursions in Puerto de la Cruz
Located at North Tenerife, Puerto de la Cruz is known for its volcanic sand beaches and the popular “Loro Park” (big zoo with a variety of flora species). There you can find amazing activities to do, as well as places to visit. Some of them are:
- Orotava’s Acclimatization Garden: Historical garden that houses exotic plant species that was built back in XVIII Century and has become into a tour where you can learn a lot and delight with all the species present.
- Taoro Park: Park located in the mountain with the same name that has within gardens, walks and fountains, plus a playground and several viewpoints. Its a great place to have a walk or even do some exercise.
- Costa Martianez Touristic Complex: Zone of leisure made of seven artificial pool with sea water besides gardens, isles, viewpoints, solariums, cultural spaces and much more! Within its exceptional facilities you will have definitely a lot of fun.
Excursions in “Los Gigantes”
Los Gigantes is a coastal locality in Santiago del Teide municipality. It is known for its massive cliffs that reach a height that gets to 600 meters, as well as its well cared beaches.
Some of the best stuff to do there are:
- Archipenque Viewpoint: Going down Puerto Santiago highway, you can see Archipenque Viewpoint, a place where you’ll have amazing looks directly to Los Gigantes Cliffs and from the same coastal locality with its marina. It gets better at sunset, that is a real spectacle worth to be seen.
- Boat Excursions in Los Gigantes: We offer excursions around the entire island to see dolphins and whales with pick up in the hotel you’re staying. Los Gigantes is an important location where we go through and you can see there exotic maritime species, as well as amazing landscapes in an unforgettable experience.
Excursions in San Cristobal de la Laguna
Small city located within Santa Cruz de Tenerife municipality. It is the second most populated area in Tenerife and the third in the whole Canarian Archipelago.
Some of the excursions that you can do there are:
- Cosmos and Science’s Museum (Museo de la Ciencia y el Cosmos): Inaugurated in 1993 by Canary Islands Astrophysical Institute, it’s a place where you have the possibility to attend the events and interactive exhibitions they do to teach people about these topics.
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife Port: This isn’t exactly an excursion. However, in this port you can have a walk and enjoy all the movement it has and learn a lot about one of the main commercial ports in the island.
- Laguna Cathedral: Emblematic twentieth century cathedral with neoclassical facade and vaulted interior in Gothic style.
As you can see, there are a lot of free and paid excursions you can do in Tenerife, as well as touristic places to go.
Like Tenerife is not really a big place (although is the biggest from canary islands) you can visit all of them if you really wanna have a complete tour around the island. We encourage you to do it!